Everything that you could ever need can be found and bought online these days – from food and groceries to clothes and home décor. Having your items delivered straight to your home is convenient, especially in these times when it’s encouraged to avoid close contact with people. But what should you do when receiving deliveries? Should you still wear your face mask?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends wearing a mask in public or around people outside of your household. So, yes, you should still wear a face mask when accepting your packages. And although there is a low chance of catching the virus from food products, food packaging, or bags, it’s still important to follow through with food safety and disinfecting practices.
Tips for Receiving Deliveries
- When placing orders online, opt to pay with your card instead for a contactless transaction. For cash on delivery, place the money in an envelope or a small basket where they collect the payment.
- To limit contact when accepting deliveries, ask that your items be left somewhere safe such as the lobby. You could also place a chair outside so riders can drop the parcel there.
- After receiving your packages, don’t forget to wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds. Hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol will also do.
- Wash your hands again after unpacking and opening your deliveries. It’s better safe than sorry.
- Aside from keeping your hands clean, you should also disinfect high-touch surfaces like the door handle and countertops.
- Tip your riders and hand them an extra face mask. It’s a small act of kindness but they’ll surely appreciate it.
We can’t avoid social interactions forever. But in the meantime, keep a 6-feet distance from people outside of your household. Otherwise, continue wearing your face masks even when you’re just receiving deliveries.
ALSO READ: Beware of this Online Delivery Scam