Nothing beats having juicy steak to celebrate special occasions or a fancy date night. While a lot of people may still be hesitant to dine in at their favorite restaurants, the good news is that the dish can be cooked to one’s preference right at the comfort of one’s home.
As per Adobo Magazine, actress and musician Saab Magalona-Bacarro, alongside her husband, businessman, and Cheats frontman Jim Bacarro, make it a point to still hold romantic date nights with some good ol’ steak and mashed potatoes. “We enjoy preparing steak and potatoes because it’s delicious, hearty, and fancier than our usual meals, but also really easy to prepare,” Saab shared.
In the pilot episode of La Germania’s recent Masterclass Series, the famous couple shared their secrets to making this dish at home:
500g rib eye steak
Potatoes (5 large potatoes)
- Make sure your steak is at room temperature for at least 10 minutes.
- Season the tray or cutting board first. 30% of the seasoning disappears when you cook beef, so make sure you season liberally. Then, rub both sides of the beef on the tray
- Season the beef again until it looks encrusted in seasoning.
- Put the stove at a low temperature before putting the meat. The meat must be cooked in piping hot heat, so you have to be ready.
- Meanwhile, you cut the potatoes, and boil them for about 12 minutes. Use a fork to check how soft the potatoes are. Then, you mash the potatoes.
- Deglaze the pan with some red wine if you want some sauce alongside your steak.
- Put butter gradually on your potatoes. Taste test the potatoes so you can gauge how much seasoning you need to after.
- Once you season the potatoes to your preference, you can add some garlic.
- Fry some garlic with half a tablespoon of olive oil on low heat. Then add the cream, beef cube, and herbs of your choice.
- Put the sauce on the potatoes using a strainer. Add the garlic chunks if you would like. Then, put it back on the stove. Mix it around, and taste test if it’s seasoned according to your liking.
- If you like your steak medium, you should cook your steak for 4 minutes on each side. Leave it to cool down for about ten minutes, and enjoy immediately.
According to the couple, the secret to cooking steak perfection is to use the best ingredients and invest in good quality kitchen equipment like La Germania. “With our La Germania stove, we can speed up the process of cooking our favorite dishes because it has multiple burners. It’s easy to control, and child-friendly too since it’s an induction stove,” Saab mused. “If you’re raising a small family like us, having a reliable kitchen partner like La Germania makes everything easier to manage. From everyday dishes to more elaborate recipes, we can have fun and experiment in the kitchen.”
Art Daniella Sison