Hey there, Freebie community! One of the most important things about your safety online is to make sure that nobody is impersonating you. Hundreds of thousands of people around the world fall victim to identity theft. With more and more people reporting the presence of “duplicate accounts” on Facebook, we would like to show you how to keep you safe.
Here is how to check for your online safety:
- Search for your name on Facebook. If you see a new account that has very little / no friends, it may be impersonating you or a namesake. NOTE: Remember that many people also share the same name so please make sure that you are reporting an account that is trying to mask yours in the form of taking your photos or adding up your friends.
- Click on the three dots beside the profile and click “Find Support or Report Profile”
- Click on “Pretending to be someone” and click on “Me”
- If you are unable to do this now, you can also ask a friend to report the page.
- Click Report and then click Done
- You should be receiving a Facebook notice in your email telling you that you have successfully reported the profile
Remember that online safety is important. Right now the most efficient way to secure your account is to use a combination of a strong password and 2-factor authentication.
- If you have a Google account, secure it by enabling 2FA or 2-factor authentication. You can do it by reviewing your privacy and security settings at accounts.google.com
- Keep your phone in hand and enable 2 Factor authentication as well as review your Google security settings.
- REMEMBER that 2 factor authentication needs your phone number, which means that you should always have your phone with you. It also means that you should make sure do not change your mobile number. If you do decide to get a new SIM card you will have to re-authenticate the new number (do not throw away your old SIM card yet).