Just a month after Apple rolled out the iOS 14.5 update, they previewed the major updates coming on iOS 15 at the 2021 Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC). FaceTime will be getting added capabilities and they’re introducing the Focus feature that helps reduce distraction. Apple also improved the on-device intelligence and redesigned the Maps, Weather, and Wallet app.
An Enhanced Experience
Craig Federighi, Apple’s senior vice president of Software Engineering, can’t wait for customers to experience the update. “iOS 15 helps uses stay connected while sharing experiences in real-time, gives them new tools to help reduce distraction and find focus, uses intelligence to enhance the photos experience, and with huge updates to Maps, brings new ways to explore the world,” he said in the press release.
The highlight of the event was the introduction of SharePlay on FaceTime. This allows users to listen to songs together with Apple Music, watch a TV show or movie in sync, and screen share. What’s more, even non-Apple users will be able to join FaceTime. That means Android and Windows devices can be part of the shared experience.
Other major updates include:
- Focus Mode — Users can filter notifications, signal to friends when they’re not available, and hide distractions without missing what’s important.
- Notification Summary — Collects non-urgent notifications and delivers them at a more opportune time.
- Live Text — Recognizes handwritten and printed text in a photo and allows users to take action, like highlighting useful information and translating signs.
- Visual Look Up — Highlights objects and scenes it recognizes so you can get more information about them.
- Advanced Spotlight Search — Search photos by location, people, scenes, or objects.
- Interactive Memories — Personalized song suggestions that bring photos in your gallery to life.
- Detailed Maps — Enhanced details, including a three-dimensional city-driving experience and walking directions in augmented reality.
- ID Cards — Add your driver’s license or state ID to the Wallet app for convenience.
For more information on the upcoming iOS 15 update, head over to Apple’s website. The new software features will be available in the fall and are compatible with the iPhone 6s and later.