This food hack is one of the easiest ways to make a meat substitute for vegetarian or vegan meals. It’s also a great alternative for those who are allergic to soy. Using just flour and water, you’ll be able to make a seitan that looks like chicken meat. The effort it takes to make it is definitely worth it.
What is Seitan?
Seitan (pronounced say-tan) has been around for decades and is a common meat substitute for Buddhists. But it was not until recently that the 2-ingredient chicken replacement went viral online, thanks to a Tiktok video made by a user called Future Lettuce. By washing the starch out of the dough, the wheat gluten becomes a high-protein source that’s vegetarian and vegan-friendly.
What ingredients do you need?
Aside from flour and water, you’ll want to add seasonings to your seitan. All-purpose flour or bread flour works best because of the amount of gluten in it. Adding some onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, dried herbs, and chicken-flavored broth will make the dish even more flavorful.
How to Make Washed Flour Seitan?
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and water.
- Knead until it’s smooth and forms into a ball. If it’s too dry, add a bit more water. Conversely, sprinkle some dough if it’s too sticky.
- Cover and let it rest for an hour.
- Knead underwater. Continue the process until you’re left with clear-ish, but not clear, water.
- Add your seasoning of choice and let it rest, uncovered, for another hour.
- Twist and tie it as much as you can. This will create the “shredded chicken” texture.
- Fry the wheat gluten until it’s golden brown on both sides.
- Then add veggie stock and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Shred and enjoy
The recipe is actually easy to follow, just time-consuming so a lot of patience is needed. And, no animals were harmed in the process.